Non-fat and Sugar-free Banana Bread

11:00 PM


If you have been following this blog, perhaps you have already noticed that majority of my recent posts were actually food related.  It is not because I'm trying to be a culinary expert nor a kitchen guru (that's way too impossible to happen), but because I have been working a lot on my cooking/baking skills, trying to find delicious yet healthy kitchen recipes.

I was not health conscious like this when I was younger, but my perspective on food and diet changed the moment I started to have a family of my own.  I felt that as a mom and wife, it is my responsibility to feed my family nutritious food to keep them healthy so they may enjoy and live a long life.

Currently, I am obsessed with preparing healthy dishes and desserts, but not so much to the point of becoming a vegan.  My goal is to serve mains that are low in fat and cholesterol (since my husband and my sister have high LDL) and desserts/snacks that are low calorie, low fat, and sugar free as much as possible.

So today, let me share with you my banana bread recipe.  For me, this recipe is perfect not because it is the MOST delicious banana bread you'll ever taste but because it is low in calorie, fat free, and sugar free, yet yummy enough to be enjoyed by the whole family.  (Believe me when I say the MOST delicious dessert you'll ever taste is also the MOST sinful one because what makes it tastes so heavenly is actually MORE fat and MORE sugar -- say hello to hyperlipidemia and diabetes!)

Note:  This recipe doesn't use oil, so if you are going to make this banana bread, see to it that you use an oven safe baking pan to make the removal of the bread easier and hassle free (the bread tend to stick to the parchment paper if using a metal baking pan).


NON-FAT AND SUGAR-FREE BANANA BREAD

2 cups over ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup skim milk
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking powder
1 1/4 tsp vanilla powder
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 cup chocolate chips or chopped walnuts (optional for topping)

Preheat oven to 180C and prepare loaf pan (preferably oven safe glass pan). In a large mixing bowl, whisk first three ingredients. In a separate bowl, combine all remaining ingredients and stir well. Pour dry into wet, and stir until evenly combined. Transfer to the loaf pan and sprinkle chocolate chips over the top and press down.  Bake for 35 minutes, then turn off the oven but DO NOT open the door!   Let it sit for 10 more minutes before removing and slicing.



You Might Also Like

0 comments

FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM @rozelle_ragiles