Healthy Carrot Cupcake with Cream Cheese Frosting

1:25 AM

I have once read somewhere over the internet:
"Everybody thinks that every girl's dream is to find the perfect guy.. but in reality, every girl's dream is to eat without getting fat."
I agree!  I'm sure a lot of women out there can totally relate.

Wouldn't it be nice to enjoy a plate of delicious dish or dessert without having to worry about the calories?

This recipe is perfect not only for people who are conscious of their caloric intake but for kids who don't like to eat fruits and veggies as well.

I guess the only way to have the best of both worlds is to prepare your own food.  Nothing beats home made dishes and desserts!  That way, you can take control of the nutrient content of the food you're eating by choosing only the healthiest and finest ingredients available in the market.  It will be a little costly though but just think of it as investing in your own health.  After all, health is wealth!

In the past few weeks, I had been busy working on the kitchen trying out several recipes.  I was really trying my best to learn how to cook.  Fortunately, I was able to deliver good tasting dishes and desserts (as per my husband and my sister).  That's when I realized I should not just learn how to cook but I should learn how to prepare HEALTHY food as much as I can.

I was actually thinking of becoming a vegetarian, but I guess that I, as well as everybody in the house, am not yet ready for such radical change.  Maybe, I can start by preparing more veggie dishes and healthier desserts (aside from fruits).

To start this "Oplan Healthy Eating Program" that I have in mind, let me share with you the healthiest carrot cupcake recipe I found online.  With minimal amount of sugar and oil in it, you will find it surprising how such dessert can still taste sweet enough to satisfy your palate.  Thus, you won't feel guilty indulging over a piece or two of this deliciously healthy carrot cupcake!


HEALTHY CARROT CUPCAKES
(makes 10 medium-sized cupcakes)

1 1/2 cups spelt or all purpose flour (spelt flour has more fiber)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup + 2tbsp sugar
1/2 cup applesauce or shredded apple
1/3 cup olive oil (I always use olive oil because it's the only oil we have at home)
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 tbsp skimmed milk
2 medium eggs
1 1/2 packed cup shredded carrot

Preheat oven to 180C and place 9 cupcake liners in a muffin tin. Combine all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl, then set aside. In a large measuring cup, combine all liquid ingredients (including carrot). Mix wet ingredients into dry, and immediately portion into the baking cups and place in the oven. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean, then allow the healthy carrot cake cupcakes to cool before frosting.


HEALTHY CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp Philadelphia cream cheese spread (light)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp powdered sugar
2 tbsp skimmed milk powder

Blend everything together until fluffy.  Avoid over beating the mixture or else it will become too runny.  Once the cupcakes have cooled, frost with cream cheese frosting (using a piping bag, zip-lock bag or spread with a spoon) just before serving, or frost earlier then store the cupcakes in the fridge due to the perishable nature of the ingredients.



I was not able to use the exact ingredients indicated in the original recipe for several reasons, like: 
(1) I didn't have spelt flour so I used all purpose flour instead; 
(2) I didn't have applesauce available at home so I ended up putting a red apple in a chopper to come up with 1/2 cup of shredded apple as an alternative; and 
(3) I found the mixture of the original recipe too thick so I added 2 medium-sized eggs to help achieve my desired consistency.  

My carrot cupcakes tasted great but I found it a little bit dense.  Maybe because I used shredded apple instead of applesauce, that's why.  I'm not sure though.  Next time, I'll just make sure to use the same ingredients stated in the original recipe.  However, if you are the type who likes dense cakes, then this recipe is good enough already.

Although I had a little issue with the cupcake's texture, I must say that this recipe is still a lot better in terms of nutrient content.  Imagine those commercial carrot cupcakes loaded with too much sugar and oil having 300+ calories compared to this recipe that will give you only <200 calories per serving.  Indeed, snacking on a sweet dessert need not to be sinful!



You may view the original recipe of the Healthy Carrot CupcakeHealthy Cream Cheese Frostingand other healthy dessert recipes on Chocolate Covered Katie's Healthy Desserts Blog.



You Might Also Like

0 comments

FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM @rozelle_ragiles